Booker T. Washington High School
The three-building complex, formerly Booker T. Washington High School, was purchased by the University from Richland County School District One. The oldest building on the site, built in 1916 and facing on Marion Street, was torn down by USC because the cost of renovating that structure was prohibitive. University officials worked with representatives of Booker T. Washington High School alumni on the wording for a plaque erected on the block to commemorate the site’s signficance as the first black high school in South Carolina. Bricks from the building were used in paving the drive on the Horseshoe. Booker T. Washington (c.1858-1915) was born a slave in Virginia, but was freed by the Emancipation Proclamation. He went on to become a revered black leader and founder of Tuskegee Institute. His autobiography, Up From Slavery, was translated into 18 languages.
The metal building designed by Alexander Moorman was constructed on the site of the old tennis courts to house larger animals for research purposes. During construction, it was found that the site was formerly a dump, and many old bottles were found.