1608 Lindsay Street
Newberry, SC 29108
(803) 321-1015

The Wells Japanese Garden is a Newberry landmark that was listed on
the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Designed by W. Fulmer
Wells, an architecture graduate, and largely implemented by his father
Henry B. Wells, Sr. the garden is an excellent example of both a
historic designed and a vernacular landscape. It is exemplary because it
was designed by a trained professional in a recognized style, and
vernacular because it was crafted by people using local materials,
making their own forms and collecting plant materials.

The garden is located at 1608 Lindsay St. behind
Newberry’s City Hall. A triangular site, it is situated at the base of a
hill next to Scott’s Creek. Originally, it was part of a larger parcel
with the Wells family house at the crest of the hill on Harrington
Street and primary access to the garden was from the house through other
garden spaces.

The garden features a Temple, Torri Gate, Moon Bridge and Tea House.
The posts of the Tea House originally held up the balcony at the
Newberry Opera House prior to renovation of that structure in 1930. The
site was totally closed off during World War II because of vandalism for
being a Japanese style garden. The Wells Japanese Garden has been a
City park since 1970. Reportedly, the Japanese Tea Garden at Golden Gate
Park in San Francisco influenced Fulmer Wells when he was studying in
California.

Visit Our Website