- This event has passed.
Accessibility Morning at the SC State Museum – Santa Saturday
Saturday, November 11 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
This program provides free access for families of children, teenagers, young adults and adults who would benefit from a quieter, sensory-friendly and disability-adapted experience at the museum.
Guests who are neurodiverse, autistic, or have other disabilities are welcome to participate in the optional activities listed below, or explore museum exhibition galleries at their own pace.
An American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter, sponsored by Colonial Life, is available during the morning provided by certified interpreters through the SC School for the Deaf and Blind. Activities featuring ASL interpretation are noted (ASL) below.
General Admission to Accessibility Morning is FREE for participants.
Accessibility Morning Schedule:
- 9 – 11 a.m. | Meet Santa
- 9 – 11 a.m. | Open exploration of museum exhibitions.
- 9 – 11 a.m. | American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter available.
- 9 – 11 a.m. | Sensory Room Available – A special room offering a therapeutic space with a variety of items to help guests find their calm and focus themselves so they can better experience the museum.
- 9 – 10 a.m. | Program Partners Present – Get to know our program partners, learn more about their work, and see how they can be a resource for you and your family.
- 9:30 – 9:45 a.m. | Character Meet-and-Greet with special character TBA (ASL)
- 9:45 a.m. | Select Sensory Show – Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer 4D * (ASL)
- 11 a.m. | Museum Highlights Tour with ASL Interpreter (ASL)
*Sensory Friendly Shows will alternate monthly between planetarium and 4D theater experiences. Shows feature lowered volume, however 4D experiences still include enhanced effects, including scents, bursts of air, rumbling seats, leg ticklers, bubbles and snow, lighting effects, and squirts of water. Accessibility Morning shows are free but space is limited.